Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Saturday, August 3, 2013

August 3/13

We're only a few days from our trip to Yellowknife, so it was time to swing into action and finish the final preparations: it's time to get my bake on.

My sister's boys love their gramma's bannock, which I totally get because it was MY Gramma's bannock, but my sister is...uh...(I love you, Baby K)...well, she's a bit of a disaster in the kitchen, so it's best that she not get involved in the chaos of baking something that doesn't come in a box.  So, whenever it's the case that members of our family head north, when possible, we come bearing backed goods for the boys.

Tonight, it was chocolate chip cookies.  Mostly because I wanted them, but I figured that no one in that household would complain if I turned up with some nummy cookies.

I'm less prone to disasters in the kitchen than my sister, but that doesn't mean I'm any better at managing the baking process.  Sometimes I look at the consistency of my cookie dough and wonder what the fuck went wrong, but they always turn out just fine in the oven.  Then there's always the mess and the clean-up, and usually a few 'What the fuck am I doing?'s thrown in for good measure.  I love the end result (the cookies), I hate the process (getting to the cookies).

And it occurred to me that the reason why it bothers me that I don't like baking is because I'm generally quite process-oriented.  In most endeavors, I thrive during the process, and though I keep my eye on the end result, it's much more interesting to shape it through the process phases.  If you have a solid process in place, it means the end should generally take care of itself, with maybe some minor alterations.  Yet when it comes to baking, I go batty and just wish the damn item was done already so I could enjoy it.  Whoever said 'Patience is its own reward' wasn't likely someone jonesing for a cookie fix.

Someone to bake cookies for me...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment