Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

August 27/13

Tonight is the beginning of the end of the Orange kitchen.

When we were picking out paint colours about two years ago, well, when Etienne picked out paint colours, I was on board with the Green Apple living room, the Auburn bedroom, the Lavender Office, and the Blue Bathroom (though my shade preference for the bathroom differed), but when he presented the orange colour card to me, I was surprised and thought he was picking the white-orange shade, which I wasn't crazy about' then he pointed to the bright pumpkin orange shade, and I thought he was joking.

He wasn't.

At first, I tried to find a way to say I was not on board, but then I had a brief flash: it's the kitchen.  I'm not a fan of being in the kitchen anyway, so I made an on-the-spot decision that I won't stand in the way of this.  I knew he wanted to put up the Black Keys concert poster in the kitchen, and it had very intense oranges in it, so I figured, 'what the hell.'

And later, when I started doing the cutting and prep work, my mindset changed to 'what the fuck!'  This orange just turned out to be a nightmare.  It applied unevenly and it created a lot of work that had me cursing in my head.  After two and a half coats, there were still parts where the orange didn't apply properly, especially in corners where cutting was difficult.  By the time it was over, I resented that colour, but I reminded myself, it's the kitchen.  Well, it turns out that I spend a lot more time in the kitchen now then I ever have before.  There it was, my orange torment, with the uneven edges mocking me.  Fuck.

So tonight, as I taped the outlet covers and some tile/cabinets in preparation for priming the walls, I tried to hide my glee.  My reign of orange terror is finally coming to an end, and I think that next time there is an orange kitchen, I will not be the one doing it.

Here's to new kitchen colours in the future...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment