Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Saturday, August 17, 2013

August 17/13

As you may recall, we are moving in October.  Though it's not out of town, as I hoped, it's at least to a nice apartment in a nicer building.

So this week, I was in a bit of a tizzy, trying to plan and execute this move in a way that is cost effective (cheap), well managed (not last minute), and ultimately saves us money.  It's that last part that I get most worked up about.  Unlike the western provinces and territories, things are different in Ontario.  Out west, when you take an apartment, you give first month's rent, maybe last month's rent, *plus* a damage deposit. 

Sorry if you are familiar with the concept, but others aren't so I'll explain.  The damage deposit is a set amount of money (could be less than or equal to a months' rent) that the landlord or property manager holds on to until you vacate the apartment.  Then, once you are out, they use that money to make any repairs that go beyond standard wear and tear.  So if you put a hole in the wall, and you don't have it fixed before you move out, some of that damage deposit is put toward that repair.  Whatever portion of the damage deposit that doesn't get used, the landlord or property manager just sends you a cheque.  If you go above the damage deposit, then you pay the difference.  I've always been pretty good about getting most, if not all of my damage deposit back just be being on top of things.

But out here in Ontario, they do things all screwy.  Instead of collecting a damage deposit, they collect first and last, and then once you've moved out, they *charge* you for whatever repairs.  It's just fucking nuts.  It means that there is no agreed upon inspection report when you move into a place, and it puts the tenant at a complete disadvantage to know what will be charged to them after they move out.

This shouldn't be a problem, but we've made modifications to the apartment over the last two years, including painting and changing some of the hardware in order to tone down the sad late 80's look of the place, and now if we want to avoid major charges, I have to prime the walls for painting, and we have to return all of the hardware to its original state.  Oh, and they will charge us $200 to steamclean the carpets in the two bedrooms, unless we have it *professionally* done ourselves.  I've steamcleaned many a carpet in my day, I don't need to spend money on a professional company, thank you very much, CLV.  Not to mention the carpets in this apartment probably haven't been replaced since the 90's, and they are in pretty worn down condition.  It offends me to think we'll be charged $200 to clean what should just be torn out and replaced.

Anyway, all that to say that I'm off this evening to buy a huge fucking bucket of primer.  I'll do my best not to curse CLV out loud as I do it.

Moving in Ontario sucks...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment