Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Sunday, February 2, 2014

February 2/14

I was out running errands early this afternoon when I got the news.

I belong to a car sharing program here in Ottawa, mostly to do things like go out to the suburbs where the pet stores are located.  Earlier today, I went to the PetSmart in Gloucester to pick up food for Purrball, however I was disappointed to find that they had sold out of the wet food, and I would have to go out to the PetSmart in Orleans to get some.  I tried to call Etienne to let him know I'd be longer than I thought, but he didn't answer.  I set off for Orleans where made my purchase, and then started to head into Ottawa, but I noticed my blood sugar wobbling a bit, so I decided to make a detour to Taco Bell for some dirt cheap, fast, fake-meat, soft shell tacos.  I took my order out to the car to gobble them up, and as I sat there consuming my garbage food, my phone rang.  Etienne called me back.

I told him I had to run to Orleans, and that I wouldn't have enough time to stop for white wine.  He was fine with that, but then he dropped the bomb.

"So, you heard the news?"

"No.  What news?"

He hesitated.  "The actor, Philip Seymour Hoffman?  It's being reported that he died." 

BOOM!

Holy fuck.  I heard the news that one of the most talented actors of this generation had died while shoving a taco in my mouth.  Classy, Fancy.  Real Classy.  Good way to remember that moment.  It was early on, so all he could tell me was that it was reported that he was found dead in his apartment in New York City.  My classiness continued with my immediate response..."Shut the fuck up!  Are you serious?"

I don't know what to say.  It's not my finest moment. 

I'd like a do-over...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment