Every day, I will share something that makes me think 'Wish You Were Here.'

Saturday, October 26, 2013

October 26/13

Do you ever eat in a restaurant alone?  I do.

There are times when Etienne is busy or out at work, and I just don't want to cook (or I don't have proper groceries to do so), so I'll find a place to go that we don't normally to (usually because of a lack of food items for his special diet), and order food that I don't tend to have at home.  Like bacon.  I know that the smell of bacon is the one thing that triggers him--he likes the smell of it, but won't eat it, so I don't torment him by having bacon for myself in the house.

This afternoon, I needed food, and he needed to go to the store, so we went our separate ways.  I headed straight to Zak's because I can get all-day breakfast and indulge my desire for bacon.  It didn't matter that I don't want the rest of the breakfast in particular, especially because my normal breakfast of tea and toast covers 25% of what I'm served at Zak's--I just wanted my bacon.

But enough about bacon.  Because this is supposed to be about dining out alone.  I don't actually mind it.   I tried bringing a book a couple of times, but I just felt weird, like I was trying to live up to some goofy stereotype about dining alone.  The truth is, I'm good to just sit and hang.  Watch the world go by.  In my little shorty booth for two.  Hey, how's it going?  So, you got the rye bread, huh?  Yeah, I'm a white bread girl.  Hey, are you divorced?  Are you just spending time with the kids before you have to head out to the hockey game while the co-parent takes care of things, or is this your scheduled visit time?  Yeah, I know...it sounds weird, but honestly, people-watching is just amusing.   

So yeah.  Obviously, it doesn't bother me to be alone at a restaurant. 

A bar, on the other hand...well, hell, that's just awkward...you feel like the lone gazelle at the watering hole, wondering not if, but which one of the starving predators will pounce.

Next time, I'll have to try the new Pho place (or hell, the old Pho place) to see if it's to my liking before I try to take Etienne there.

Still, in spite of all of this...having company is nice too :)

Let's grab a bite soon...

...Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment